The Unteleported Man/ Lies, Inc. (1966)
The Unteleported Man was first published in the December 1964 issue of Fantastic, under the same title. When submitted to Don Wollheim, senior editor at Ace, to be published as a book, Dick was asked to expand the 32,000 word text to a length appropriate for a book. Dick agreed and added 25,000-30,000 words of text mostly describing the experience of the main character after he gets shot by an LSD-laced dart. The new text was appended to the existing text. Because it appeared to be quite irrelevant to the original plot, it was kept out of the Ace edition and the story was published back to back with Howard L. Cory's The Mind Monsters (1). The additional text was restored in the Berkley (1983) edition with three gaps because of lost manuscript pages. A manuscript revised by PKD was later found and was published as Lies, Inc. (the new title given by PKD) by Gollancz in 1984. But two manuscript pages were still missing leaving two gaps in the text that were filled by two short linking paragraphs written by John Sladek (2).
- From a letter of Terry Carr, PKD's editor at the time, to the PKD Society published in the PKDS Newsletter #6, 04/1985.
- From the Publisher's note of the Granada (1985) edition.
New: Foreign editions of Philip K. Dick books.
- Ace 1966, 100 pages, 50c, paperback, back to back with Mind Monsters by Howard L. Cory
- Ace 1972, 107 pages, 95c, paperback, back to back with Dr Futurity
- Berkley 1983, 202 pages, $2.75, paperback (revised as Lies, Inc.)
- Vintage 2004, 208 pages, $12.00, trade paperback (revised as Lies, Inc.)
- Mariner 2012, 240 pages, $13.95, ∑trade paperback
- in A Philip K Dick Omnibus, Sidgwick and Jackson 1970, 422 pages, £1.95, hard cover
- in "Science Fiction SPECIAL #7", Sidgwick and Jackson 1973, hard cover
- Methuen 1976, 124 pages, 50p, paperback
- Magnum 1979, 124 pages, 80p, paperback
- Gollancz 1984, 199 pages, £7.95, hard cover (revised as Lies, Inc.)
- Granada 1985, 223 pages, £1.95, paperback (revised as Lies, Inc.)
|Ace, 1966||Sidgwick and Jackson, 1970||Ace, 1972||Sidgwick and Jackson, 1973||Methuen, 1976|
|Magnum, 1979||Berkley, 1983||Gollancz, 1984||Granada, 1985||Vintage, 2004|
|NETELEPORTOVANY||DER UNTELEPORTIERTE MANN||DE EENLING||PASZCZA WIELORYBA|